How and where do I go to hire a lawyer? 19 Answers as of September 27, 2013

Google, the yellow pages, television ads, bill boards.
Barton Law Group
Barton Law Group | Daniel P Barton
Don't go any where, here Daniel P. Barton is the owner and lead trial lawyer for the Barton Law Firm in Houston, Texas. Mr. Barton has tried personal injury cases nationally and locally for more than seventeen years. He is a lifetime resident of Houston, Texas.
It depends on what kind of lawyer you need. You can research on the internet for the type lawyer you need. Once you know what kind of lawyer you need, probably word of mouth is the best way to find one. Ask your friends and family and people you know that have had a similar legal problem for recommendations.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
Right here! You can access the profile of anyone who answers questions in this forum by clicking on their name.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
Right here, if your case is in Massachusetts. My contact information is below. You can view the video of How to Hire the Right Lawyer on my web site at www.lawworcester.com. You can also download our new App for your smart phone to get answers to client questions, access to our web site, cases and verdicts, one-button email and one button telephone access to my office and much more.
    What county are you in? Most large counties have bar offices who keep lists of lawyers and their specialties. Look in Yellow pages on web yellow pages.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    If in Connecticut, call us. Otherwise AVVO and Martindale and Hubbell are good sites to evaluate lawyer.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    There are many resources to find a lawyer. Asking friends and relatives for a referral to an attorney they used/were happy with is usually a good way to go. You can also search the internet, the Yellow Pages, the white pages, contact your local Bar Association, contact the State Bar Association or watch TV for lawyer ads (although some of these folks may not try cases and may only either try to make a quick settlement and/or refer you to other lawyers that actually handle your case so they can ask for a referral fee).
    Call the bar association, look in the yellow pages, google for a lawyer.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    Well, that depends upon what your matter regards.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    Try contacting the state bar association. It will give you a list of lawyers and their areas of practice.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    You can surf the web looking for personal injury lawyers in your area, or you can ask friends of yours who have been injured whether their lawyer did a good job for them.
    You call the lawyer's office and ask to make an appointment to discuss hiring the lawyer. You can find lawyers in you local yellow pages, and on the internet. For example, if you are looking for a lawyer for a personal injury case, you can "Google" "injury lawyer [you county] [your state". For example, I would Google "Injury lawyer Anderson S.C." You can also visit a website "AVVO" and find lawyers in various practice areas where you live, or Lawyers.com.
    Contact your local county bar association, they probably have a referral service for the specific kind of lawyer you are looking for.
    Jules D'Alessandro | Jules D'Alessandro
    Undoubtedly you have already gotten numerous responses. You should select a lawyer from a referral or other personal source. Otherwise, you can certainly find many lawyers on the Internet. Before hiring a lawyer talk to several lawyers about your case and see if you feel comfortable with them.
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    Seek out suggestions from friends, family, co-workers regarding a lawyer who practices in the area you require assistance. If you have a probate matter, you won't want a lawyer who does criminal lawyer nearly exclusively, nor the other way around. You can google, contact the county or state bar associations, or let your fingers walk through the yellow pages phone directory.
    Law Office of Robert M. Turkewitz
    Law Office of Robert M. Turkewitz | Robert M. Turkewitz
    Most State Bars have lawyer referral services that can place you in touch with a qualified lawyer.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    It's a two part question. Where, is the first part. You hire a lawyer in the place where suit will be filed. The place where suit will be filed is normally the same place where the accident happened. So if you're on I-80 and traveling through Iowa on your way home to Indiana you would contact an Iowa personal injury lawyer. Now let us discuss the how part of your question. No longer are you able to just open the phone book to look for a lawyer. Today you would get on the Internet and search for the type of lawyer in the state where you were injured. In the example I'm using you would do a search for "Iowa I-80 personal injury lawyer". Make sense? Good luck and if we can help give us a call.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    There are many places to find an attorney . You can google your particular area of need and then use your due diligence.