Have I waited too late to file a lawsuit? 26 Answers as of November 07, 2013

A huge box fell on me at a store shoving me in a forward jerking motion. Have had back pain that is gotten worse and worse will have to have surgery more than likely. The store filled out an accident report but my repeated calls to them go ignored.

Quinn Law Group, LLC
Quinn Law Group, LLC | Sean E. Quinn
More detail is needed to determine if it too late to file a lawsuit in your situation. When and where did this incident occur? Pennsylvania and New Jersey both have a 2 year statute of limitations - meaning that a lawsuit must be brought within 2 years of the accident date (assuming you are an adult). If the accident happened in either NJ or PA, you have two years in which to bring your lawsuit. I would urge you, however, to speak to an experienced personal injury lawyer immediately.
You ask us if you have waited too late, but then you don't tell us how long it's been. In NY the statute of limitations is 3 years.
Graves Law Firm
Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
In Texas you have two years from the incident date to file suit. See a lawyer. Good luck.
Vasilaros Legal,LLC
Vasilaros Legal,LLC | Steven T. Vasilaros
Unfortunately, you have not provided the date of this incident. Generally, in Florida, a claim for negligence must be commenced within 4 years of the actual incident.
You did not say when this happened you have 3 years.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    Your matter may well be pursuable. I would need to discuss the details with you. There would be no fee for our discussion; there is no fee unless/until you actually win and collect.
    In Nevada you have 2 years from the date of the accident to file suit.
    In Idaho you have two years to file for personal injury.
    You have 2 years from the date of accident to file suit in Alabama or you will be forever barred from doing so. Good luck.
    Caldwell Law Group, PLLC
    Caldwell Law Group, PLLC | Christopher Caldwell
    In Idaho, when making a claim against a store, you generally have two years from the date of an accident to sue for personal injuries.
    WEISSMAN LAW FIRM
    WEISSMAN LAW FIRM | I.Donald Weissman
    In California, a lawsuit for personal injuries due to negligence must be filed by the two year anniversary of the incident. If not, the claim will be barred.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
    You have two years to file a suit for the kind of case you have described.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Belushin Law Firm, P.C.
    Belushin Law Firm, P.C. | Vel Belushin
    That would depend on when the accident occurred.
    The S.E. Farris Law Firm
    The S.E. Farris Law Firm | Spencer E. Farris
    You have 5 years to file a lawsuit in Missouri, but you should never wait that long. Call an attorney!
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    You have provided no information on how long ago this happened. In OK, for example, you either reach a settlement or you file suit within 2 years of an injury.
    Of course they ignore you. They are not there to help you. See a lawyer. The statute of limitations in Cal. is two years. You should also be seeing a doctor. Take care of yourself.
    Sarrail, Castillo & Hall, LLP | Monica Castillo
    The statute of limitations in California, for a personal injury lawsuit, is tolled 2 years from the injury date.
    Rita Skuratovsky
    Rita Skuratovsky | Rita Skuratovsky
    Generally you have 2 years to file a lawsuit for bodily injury. If the store is not responding to you, then you should definitely look into hiring a lawyer to represent you.
    Chen Kasher, Esq.
    Chen Kasher, Esq. | Chen Kasher
    Do you work at the store? If so, give them notice within 45 days and file a worker's compensation claim. If you do not, you may have a good tort claim. You have two years from the date of the incident to file suit. Talk to a lawyer ASAP; it sounds like you have some potential disc herniation or other spinal issues that require long-term care and even surgery. Most PI lawyers work on contingency, which means you will owe them no money unless they win.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    The Wisconsin statute of limitations for personal injury cases is three years from the date of injury. You need to hire a lawyer to represent you in your claim.