What can I be charged if I attempted to access a voicemail? 5 Answers as of February 24, 2012

Someone filed a police report about me today. I attempted to access their voicemail, but it was only an attempt. I'm sure charges will be brought against me. I'm just curious about what I should do, what to expect and should I get an attorney? What I can be charged with?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
I'd recommend you talk to a lawyer and potentially retain their services. Charges could be filed depending on what you allegedly did. You should privately consult with a defense attorney because what you say and do can and will be used against you in a criminal complaint if the prosecuting attorney wishes to proceed.
Do not say anything to the police or anybody and get an attorney.
The DeRose Lawfirm | Peter J. DeRose
Hire an experienced lawyer. At a minimum, you will be charged for the attempt. You will be notified that there is an arrest warrant for you. Hire your lawyer before you turn yourself in so he or she can appear with you. Your case will be evaluated by your lawyer to see if the police made any mistakes and to test how strong their case is. You will then decide to make a deal or go to trial. REMEMBER, hire the most experienced attorney you can afford. Money you can make more of. Time done in jail you will never get back.
Say nothing to anyone, especially the police. Hire an attorney and wait for the charges. Who knows what they come up with. Contact me to discuss further.
I am not sure what this may involve as far as a criminal case. There may be no criminal charge for an attempt to listen to a private message. Alternatively, there may be a federal offense similar to wiretapping, but whichever it is, it is not common. You may wish to call the MCBA Referral service to get an attorney who is more familiar with this type of offense.