For possession of controlled substance for a first time offender what is the worst thing that could happen? 16 Answers as of February 01, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
In Michigan it depends on what the controlled substance was. Marijuana is up to a year and cocaine is up to 4 years.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/1/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/29/2013
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
At a minimum depends on the type of substance, amount and various personal factors.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/29/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Even a first-time offender might be sentenced to the maximum indicated on the charge papers. In Maryland marijuana possession carries up to a year, and heroin or cocaine carries up to a maximum of four years. Penalties for possession with the intent to distribute would be five years and 20 years respectively. Ultimately, sentencing depends on the seriousness of the offense, the defendants prior record, mitigation, allocution, and the judge.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 1/29/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
It depends on the weight and type of controlled substance. Anything is possible from probation to 30 years in prison, in the state of Illinois.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/29/2013
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    Worst result would be jail time, fine, treatment, aftercare, etc. Contact an attorney asap.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 1/29/2013
    Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
    Depending on the controlled substance and the amount possessed, the short answer is jail time.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/29/2013
    Simmons Law
    Simmons Law | Tiffany M. Simmons, Esq.
    According to GA law, it is unlawful for any person to purchase, possess, or have under his control any controlled substance. It depends on the quantity, etc to state how much time you are facing. However, by retaining an attorney you can possibly get a first offender plea deal. The plea arrangement can vary depending on what your attorney and the State agree upon. It could range from fines, probation, or some jail time.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 1/28/2013
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Probation is possible.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 1/28/2013
    Amber Lunsford, Attorney at Law | Amber Lunsford
    The answer depends on the actual charge. Quantity, purpose, and location all matter when it comes to determining exposure in drug cases.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/28/2013
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    Potential sentence for misdemeanor (less than 35 grams) possession of controlled substance in Missouri is up to 1 year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you to keep this off your permanent criminal record.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 1/28/2013
    Patrick Earl Attorney
    Patrick Earl Attorney | Patrick Owen Earl
    Contact an experienced criminal defesne attorney and this and all other questions can be answered.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 1/28/2013
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    If no priors, in school or working, stable environment, ask for deferred or delayed sentence status. If not over 21, look into HYTA. BUT you must complete all conditions and not be involved in further illegal activity for the offense to be no conviction.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/28/2013
    Steven Dodge | Steven Dodge
    That depends on the type of controlled substance and the assigned judge. If you can get me some more details, I can answer your question.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/28/2013
    Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
    The maximum prison sentence could be ordered but that is unlikely. Consult with an attorney to discuss the probable sentence.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/28/2013
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A. | Donald L. Blaszka, Jr.
    Depends on the substance - if you are charged with a misdemeanor or felony makes a big difference.
    Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
    Replied: 1/28/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney