For Felony Theft, what penalty am I looking at as a first time offender? 11 Answers as of March 24, 2013

I was accused of Felony Theft by taking, the amount of 1200.00. This is my first time ever being in trouble.

I would need further information to answer such as the exact charges. You should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.
Ask your attorney who will have a file with reports.
It is impossible to say what the judge or prosecutor may sentence or recommend as a sentence, for your crime. You will probably get some form of probationary sentence, but you should retain a lawyer to represent you, because prison time could be in play.
California Penal Code Section 487. Grand theft is theft committed in any of the following cases: (a) When the money, labor, or real or personal property taken is of a value exceeding nine hundred fifty dollars ($950) California Penal Code Section 489. Grand theft is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Your charge papers should indicate that the maximum penalty for theft in this amount is 10 years in prison.
    You want to get a lawyer and plead not guilty. If you plead guilty right away then you lose all bargaining power. Maybe something can be done so that you end up with no criminal record. This is huge. What employer wants to hire a thief?
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C.
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C. | Steven Fairlie
    In Montgomery County you would probably get ARD, which is probation and then dismissal/expungement, but you need to talk with a good local lawyer about the facts of your case. Read more about Pennsylvania theft crimes here: http://fairlielaw.net/practice-areas/theft/
    Zeliff & Watson
    Zeliff & Watson | Evan Watson
    The punishments will vary depending on a lot of circumstances. Sometimes probation is necessary, etc. Other times, agreements can be reached with the prosecutor to avoid a criminal record, etc. Give me a call if your case is around Metro Atlanta.
    Worse case scenario, you are looking at 1 to 3 years. If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you hire an attorney to represent you immediately.
    Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
    Up to 5 years incarceration plus $5,000 in fines.
    Felony theft is a broad offense which covers any theft from $1000 and up. As a result, much more about the facts and evidence must be known. You must consult with an attorney.