Father offered to pay me half of health insurance ($300), and call it even. Should I trust him, sign and be done? 10 Answers as of January 28, 2013

Father is an attorney, makes good money, buys properties and goes on vacations. Yet, his AGI is showing very low, since he writes off his business well. I work for tips, which are going into a by-monthly paycheck and are taxed. I pay for healthcare. Father has one child and I have one child. My small AGI on taxes is same as his, even though I cannot buy properties, do not drive a BMW, and have not had a European vacation ever. He prepares all of the paperwork. I cannot afford an attorney.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Suggest you call Legal Aid in your area or an attorney who may work with you on a payment plan. Trust him. I would not.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/28/2013
John Russo | John Russo
So besides being resentful whats your question, if he agrees to pay 1/2 of the health insurance coverage for the child is that fair, that's how most health insurance issues are resolved.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/28/2013
Law Office of Kristine McDonnell | Kristine McDonnell
Is this a custody issue or a divorce issue. Not enough information is being provided.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 1/28/2013
Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP | Kathleen DeLacy
You can file for child support and go to mediation and try the Melson formula for support.
Answer Applies to: Delaware
Replied: 1/28/2013
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
Your posting doesn't provide enough context to fully understand the situation or explain why the offer is being made. However, if the offer of health insurance & call it even is intended to be a substitute solution for payment of child support and related costs of raising a child by an unmarried father it would be foolish for you to accept anything until you speak to your own attorney to learn more about your options. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DEAL WITH AN ATTORNEY ON YOUR OWN in this circumstance and do not be intimidated by threats or assertions he makes.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 1/28/2013
    Fran Brochstein
    Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
    My initial response is no you should not trust him. You should hire an attorney. I don't know where you live, but there are pro bono services available throughout the State of Texas. You have to qualify and they are slow. There are also law schools that have legal clinics.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/28/2013
    Pingelton Law Firm | Dan Pingelton
    Do NOT do this deal. Get a lawyer, tell him/her that your ex is an attorney. Someone will work with you on payments, and probably wind up getting your ex to pay his/her attorney fees as well. Most likely, once you get counsel, your ex will man up and do that right thing. If not, he'll wish he had when he gets before a judge. This is a terrible deal. Don't do it. Get a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 1/25/2013
    The Law Offices of Tres A. Porter | Tres A. Porter
    You should consult with a family law attorney as soon as possible. You might be surprised at whether or not you can afford one. AGI is not necessarily the deciding factor when it comes to income for the issue of child support or dissolutions.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/25/2013
    Diefer Law Group, P.C.
    Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
    On the facts that you are telling me, I would say you should not trust him. The court can look beyond his tax returns to determine his true income. Not all expenses he claims on his taxes will be accepted by the family law court. So, I think you would be wise to seek court intervention and have an attorney or accountant involved in this matter.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/25/2013
    Find an attorney and ask the court to order father to pay your fees. He is absolutely not proposing he pay enough. You need an attorney to really look at his income and get his books. Do not settle for such a low amount. Your child is entitled to support based on both parents income.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/25/2013
Click to View More Answers: