Can I get charged for a false police report? 4 Answers as of May 30, 2013

I filed a police report for a lost wallet and some of my cards were use, I'm not too sure on what happened since I was intoxicated and remember very little, and they told me to give my statement so I did. They told me if the statement did not match what's on camera then I would be charged with filing a false report. Is this true? What penalty is there? All I wanted to do is just file for my wallet and items lost and they just made it into larceny.

The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
In New York, making a false report is a criminal offense under NY PL 240.50, 240.55, and 240.60. It can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony and is punishable by up to one year in jail and as much as up to seven years in state prison. Regardless of the degree, these crimes are often accompanied by a charge of Reckless Endangerment. Falsely Reporting an Incident is taken seriously because the possibility that the police were needed elsewhere is unacceptable. Therefore, you should speak with a criminal lawyer before making any statements.
Lutwin & Lutwin, LLP | Joel M. Lutwin
You need a good criminal attorney to deal with this matter - we do that kind of work.
Bruce Plesser | Bruce Plesser
They have to prove intent but you can be arrested.
If you file a false police report you will be charged with a misdemeanor and face up to a year in jail. If you do not remember what happened you should say that and not risk being mistaken. You should retain an attorney to talk to the police and protect your rights.