Even if your dad just got out of prison, can the law keep you from moving in with him if you are over 18 for any reasons? 11 Answers as of October 16, 2012

My dad just got out of prison in August and the law is trying to stop me from moving in with him even though I am 18.

Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
If a condition of his parole, or some other court order, says that you two are not supposed to have contact with each other, then yes. Whoever is violating the court order would be in contempt of court, could have their parole revoked, etc.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
If he is on parole his parole officer may have a problem with him living with a child for a number of reasons. You should contact an attorney and let him know the circumstances and see if he can talk to the parole officer. He can ask for a hearing on the issue.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
If you are an adult, you have freedom to make your own mistakes unless the terms of his parole restrict him.
When he is on parole he has to follow what the State tells him until he is done with parole. So the answer is yes.
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
Who he can live with may be a condition of his parol. You would have to look at his orders to make this determination.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    The law could keep you from moving in with him if you are also a felon.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    I would assume that your father's case is over. However, if the crime was a sexual offense where he has to register as a sex offender, there might be other conditions imposed upon him by the Court that limits his ability to reside with someone.
    I would need further information to answer such as why he was in prison. You should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C.
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C. | Steven Fairlie
    Generally no. If he abused you there might be a condition of bail preventing him from having contact with you.
    You have to be 19 in Nebraska to be considered an adult. They could restrict him if he is still under supervision, but not you.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    Yes and No. The law cannot stop you, yourself from moving in with your father. However, if a condition of his parole is that he have no contact with you then the law can stop him. If he has such a condition and violates it he will go back to prison.
    Answer Applies to: Montana