Drug felony expungment 9 Answers as of June 22, 2011

I was arrest several times on drug charges. A couple of times I was released because they fail to have probable cause and a couple of times they put the cases together. What I ended up with is 3 felony drug convictions. The first time I was arrested I did violate my probation because i caught another case and was rearrested. However, after the third time I did finally learn my lesson and I completed probation. I have paid all my fines and have not been in any trouble now for 11 years. Is there anything you can do to help me. I cannot find a job and it has been a nightmare. I am not the same person I was back.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider | Peter Goldscheider
If you finally completed probation successfully you can apply for an expungement from the court. In your case because you may have violated your probation from your description the court likely has the discretion not to grant it. You need a good certified criminal law specialist to assist you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/22/2011
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Expungement is possible, but it is a long provess. First you have to file 17b motions to reduce the felonies to misdemeanors. Once they are misdemeanors, you can proceed to expungement the charges. Contact a lawyer, because this is not something you can/should do yourself.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/3/2011
Dennis Roberts, a P.C.
Dennis Roberts, a P.C. | Dennis Roberts
If you are in the Bay Area, call me Dennis. If not I can recommend someone when I know where you picked up those cases. You can get your cases expunged BUT generally (lately) when you apply for a job the company makes you sign a waiver letting them get your rap sheet. The expungement, contrary to popular belief, does NOT erase the record -the record stays butunderneath each conviction itsays it was expunged.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/27/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
The general rule is: Records are forever. However, you can consider getting the conviction expunged; it would help in obtaining and keeping employment. Many felony and misdemeanor convictions [not infractions] can sometimes be 'expunged' from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no prison time sentenced whether served or not, and if it was not for certain sex and Domestic Violence crimes, and if all terms of sentencing and at least one year of probation are completed, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively reduced to a misdemeanor, if necessary, and then withdrawn and the charges dismissed. That does not 'remove' the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' or 'strike' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing or employment because of the conviction. If youre serious about doing this, and you think you qualify under those rules, feel free to contact me for the legal help you'll need. You have to do this process for each conviction.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/27/2011
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
You may be a good candidate for expungement if you have not been convicted of other crimes since your 3rd drug case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: