Does your juvenile record get sealed when you turn 18? 7 Answers as of May 07, 2013

I got two ticket between the age of 14-16. One was for jay walking and one was for family violence. I pled no contest on both, never been to jail. I just turned 18 and I applied at a retail chainstore going through pre employment got the drug test done. I'm just worried about the background check. I have not done anything since I turned 18. I have only gotten tickets never been arrested so I put on the application I had never been convicted of any misdemeanors or felonies. Is it sealed that's my question. I'm really just worried.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
It should be sealed before you turn 18.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 5/7/2013
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
Juvenile records are supposed to be off limits, however, at times they are able to be reviewed. My advice is to always be honest in answering job questions. It is a truth and veracity issue. Many employers will consider your explanation and still hire you. Just be honest.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 5/3/2013
That is my understanding, but I do not know. You may receive a copy of your criminal history report, and see for yourself. Below is from the GBI web page, Click "services" Obtaining Criminal History Record Information Georgia criminal history records can be obtained from local Sheriff's or Police Departments. Please contact a local Georgia agency about specific requirements for obtaining a copy of your Georgia criminal history record.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/3/2013
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Your juvenile record is not automatically sealed when you turn 18. If you are convicted as a juvenile or youthful offender the records are supposed to be sealed, but the Courts are sometimes very sloppy and the records often are not sealed. Thus, in New York it is a good idea for someone in your position to retain counsel to file a formal petition with the Court to seal your juvenile records. Otherwise, it is quite possible that your juvenile record could come up in a background check.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/2/2013
Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
Generally juvenile records are not open to the public or to employers like this.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/2/2013
    License Advocates Law Group LLP | Christine McCall
    Sealing of a juvenile record is not automatic. The offender must bring a petition in the court of conviction. Not all juvenile offenses can be sealed. Consult with counsel for advice re the standards, procedure, and costs.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/2/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Juvenile criminal records are not sealed and will show up on background checks. You should determine whether or not the charges which you pled no contest are felonies or misdemeanors in order that you can explain yourself during the employment application process. Generally if you do not make full disclosure you are subject to either not being hired, or being fired immediately for no other cause when the employer realizes there was a false statement made in the application.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/2/2013
Click to View More Answers: