Does a widow have to pay for her dead husband's doctor and hospital bills? 6 Answers as of October 04, 2017

My son recently died from stage 4 lung cancer even though he never smoked a day in his life. My question is, does my daughter-in-law have to pay his outstanding medical and hospital bills? They have medical and a cancer insurance, but this will ruin her since her income has been cut in half. She's on disability and can't pay the outstanding balances.

Yes. In Ohio, a spouse or a surviving spouse is responsible for certain expenses incurred by their spouse. These are referred to as "necessaries". It includes medical bills (for health care only - not cosmetic), food and rent. If she can't afford to pay, she should contact the doctors and facilities about forgiving part of the debts.
In Nevada the answer is technically yes. However, given her financial situation it is doubtful they will try very hard.
That depends on whether or not she signed for the treatment. Sounds like she is eligible for CH7.
The Salas Firm
The Salas Firm | Ron Salas
Probably. In Colorado, spouses are responsible for the medical bills of their spouses even if the bills are in only one spouses name. This does not apply to any other bills.
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
That depends on whether or not she guaranteed the payment and whose name insurance was in.