Does a verbal agreement regarding child support trump our court agreement? 2 Answers as of June 13, 2011

My child's father and I have a current court order (in California) for child support that I receive monthly (8 years now). He asked if we could put a time limit on ending the order now that I'm moving back to Oregon this week (where he lives). I'm in the process of transferring the case to Oregon. I verbally agreed to the 6 month time limit on the support, but now I'm having second thoughts. I don't want the support to end. Is this verbal agreement legally binding?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Gresham Family & Bankruptcy Law
Gresham Family & Bankruptcy Law | Lillian Suelzle Watson
Only written and court signed agreements are binding. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/13/2011
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
No. A child support award can be modified only by another court order. It is somewhat unclear, but it sounds like you agreed to defer enforcement of the order. That happens a lot, but doesn't change the fact that he owes support pursuant to a court order.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: