Does a US patent protect my invention in other countries? 2 Answers as of October 20, 2010

If I have a patent for an invention, is there anything in US law to prevent a foreign company from capitalizing on my design? How does the US patent office deal with foreign patent infringements?

Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
No, each country has their own patent laws and issue their own patents. A U.S. patent prevents others from making, using or selling a product which infringes your patent claims in the U.S. For example, an infringer could not manufacture a product in a foreign country which infringes your U.S. patent and sell in the United States. If you would like to prevent sales of your invention in foreign countries, you should consider filing a Patent Convention Treaty ("PCT") application.
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
With a US Patent, You can only make, use, sell, and prevent others from making, using, and selling your invention in THIS country. If you would like to sell your invention in another country, you would not be protected. You would, however, be protected if another company tries to import and sell your invention in the USA.