Does the US allow citizens to have dual citizenship with another country? 3 Answers as of November 03, 2010

I recently found out that I am eligible to become a citizen in another country because my grandfather is from there. Does the US allow dual citizenship with foreign countries? I do not want to have to give up my American passport to get an EU one.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You are not required to give up your American citizenship when obtaining an EU citizenship, or a citizenship of any member nation. You have to be required to surrender your citizenship by the foreign country, and few countries requires that, except possibly China.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/3/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
The US only recognizes US citizenship but it is really up to the other country to determine whether they allow its countrys citizens to also be US citizens.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/21/2010
Click to View More Answers: