Does the treatment of the police over my boyfriend, lawful and humane? 9 Answers as of October 23, 2013

I feel that the police overstepped their authority. My boyfriend was stopped and has no license, the officer handcuffed him, impounded my truck took him to county jail, booked (mug shot or fingerprint). When he demanded to know he was under arrest for, he was told (nothing, you’re not under arrest, we just wanted to update our records. He could not pay fine, but give a court date. $271.00 impounds and $75 fine plus $175 court costs. I believe a ticket to be paid was normal.

He had no license and was driving? The police had the right to do everything that they did. Driving without a license is a CRIME.
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
No one is entitled to get a ticket rather than being arrested. Moreover, the police could not allow him to drive after determining he had no license - he would have had to get someone else to drive.
Ellis & Abouelsood | John Danelon
It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle without a valid license, thus the police absolutely had the right to arrest him when he failed to provide one.
No one gives a damn what you think. He was arrested for driving without a license. If you are dumb enough to ask why am I being arrested when you know you are driving without a license, then you deserve to be told nothing.
Tell him, it's time to shop for a lawyer.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    If your boy friend was driving without a license, the police treated him appropriately.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
    A person can be taken into custody even for an infraction, so he clearly can be for this misdemeanor.
    Criminal Defense & Civil Litigation, LLC | Michael C. Witt
    If he was given a mandatory court date, I suspect he was arrested and charged criminally with either operating after revocation, or operating without a license as a second or subsequent offense. They could not just let him drive away under those circumstances, and if he is not the registered owner of the vehicle, I suspect they will take the position that he could not give them permission to legally park the vehicle, so they had to tow it. I'm not sure what you feel was illegal or inhumane about his being booked and released under those circumstances. He should probably consult a criminal defense lawyer before his court date.
    If you believe that he has a case against the police, then consult with an attorney that handles 1983 police abuse cases.