Does this take away my implied warranty rights, if not, how long does an implied warranty last? 5 Answers as of March 04, 2014

I bought a TV in 2011. It failed after 28 months. The industry standards are 5-7 yrs. I have a 1 year limited warranty for parts and labor. The warranty states that the implied warranty will only last the same time as the 1 year limited warranty lasts. TV costs $749 and repair cost $460. I am lower income on disability. Very unaffordable!

Law Office of Robert M. White, PLLC
Law Office of Robert M. White, PLLC | Robert M. White
"The warranty states that the implied warranty will only last the same time as the 1 year limited warranty lasts." This one sentence addresses your question completely. Unfortunately, manufacturers of goods like electronics often do not provide extensive warranties to cover goods with the potential to fail at any given time. To address these concerns, vendors such as Best Buy offer extended warranties to cover these eventualities but often at a cost that doesn't always make it worthwhile. I realize this is not the answer you were expecting, but the "1 year limited warranty" is also an industry standard. In the future, consider purchasing an extended warranty offered from the vendor from which you purchase the product.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
Generally, the implied warranty is that the product is fit for the intended purpose. This basically means that you can use the TV to watch and listen to television. An industry can establish or identify any warranty period, but the manufacturer sets the warranty period for their product. Your question seemed to indicate that the implied warranty lasts as long as the limited warranty, 1 year.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
You need to seek advice from a consumer law lawyer, however i would suggest that you call the manufacturer. I had a similar thing happen and i called the company and they honored the repairs even though it was outside the warranty.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
The warranty by its terms lasts only one year. You purchased the product based on the clear one year limit. Thus, you are out of luck. The good news is that prices of good televisions have fallen sharply. Before paying for this repair, do research because a good new television might be cheaper.
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
Unfortunately - your warranty expired in 2012. You should complain on the TV manufacturer's website about their poor quality - but that will likely be all you can do.