Does that count for landlord being served? 3 Answers as of January 30, 2013

We sent a process server to the address we had on our old landlord. He went there and a family member answered the door and said that my landlord didn't live there and process server left paperwork on floor in front of them cause they didn't want to take it. Is it ok for a family member to get served paperwork?

Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
If the address you have is the proper address of the landlord you have in your files, substitute service is acceptable if done properly. You need to attempt to serve the landlord there personally at least 3 times. If you cannot, you must serve the person there (over 18), and then mail it to the address too. You can send a request to the post office to see if they have a forwarding address.
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal | Sandeep G. Agarwal
Would they provide you with an address? If not, it may constitute subservice, but the landlord may argue that you did not serve me at my home. Check the codes in your state regarding subservice.
You can substitute serve a person at the residence where the defendant lives if the defendant actually lives there. You cannot substitute serve a relative at a residence where the defendant does not live. The defendant must live at the address where the substitute service occurred.