Does the state offer personal injury compensation for rape? 8 Answers as of September 09, 2015

We live in one state. My son was raped in another state. Does the state offer such thing as personal injury compensation?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
No, but what were the circumstances of the rape? Maybe there's a liability case there against someone a property owner, a security company, depends on how it happened. Certainly worth discussing, if there's a potential collectible defendant.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/9/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Michigan has a crime victims' compensation department. Pursue the criminal through the police and the prosecutor's office.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/9/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
In California, there is a fund for some compensation of victims of violent crimes, but unfortunately it always runs out of money quickly.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/9/2015
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
California has a Victims of Crime Compensation Fund.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/9/2015
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
Not necessarily, however you should reach out to a personal injury attorney in the state where your son was attacked. Depending upon the circumstances there could be someone who was responsible. Please keep in mind there also may not be anyone who was responsible, these cases are very fact specific. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/9/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    You have not mentioned which state is the one from which compensation is sought. In any event, very few, if any, states provide for compensation for crime victims from the general revenues. Often, when the wrongdoer is convicted, part of his penalty is having to pay restitution to the victim. Consult an experienced criminal lawyer in your locality. He or she may have more useful information about the governing law, and perhaps additional ideas. If he was raped, for example, in a state institution, he may be able to make a claim against the state. There are very short time limits and strict regulations about how you go about stating a claim against the state. Check with your local lawyer for the details applicable in your son's case. Good Luck.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 9/9/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    There is a crime victims fund that sometimes compensates the victims if they qualify. Check with your District Attorney's Office. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 9/9/2015
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
    The law in the state where the assault occurred will control, but I doubt that any state offers personal injury compensation without proving liability, and the state would not be liable to pay unless the assailant was a state employee.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 9/9/2015
Click to View More Answers: