Does a son have to visit his father who is in contempt of court for non-payment of support? 1 Answers as of June 29, 2011

A 16 year old son does not want to see his father (who is in contempt of court for non-payment of child support) due to the fact he feels threatened by him. The father has a history of domestic abuse against his parents. The father also commits verbal and emotional abuse against the son. Does the father have a right to see the son, or can the son decide that he doesn't want to spend every other weekend or every other week during summer with the father?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
Glad you asked this question. The two issues, child support and visitation, are not related. A father can be seriously in arrears and yet can enforce visitation by accusing the mother of being in contempt of court. That is not to say the visitation cannot be changed. Hiring a skilled domestic relations counsel is your best bet at protecting your son from what sounds to be an abusive father.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 6/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: