Does someone have to notify me and tell me what my grandfather left me in his will when he passed away? 19 Answers as of May 09, 2014

My deceased grandfather has money in cd's and trust funds for me but I don't really know what I have because no one has given the time to tell me what he left me in his will. Don't I have the right to know legally?

Edward L. Armstrong, P.C. | Edward L. Armstrong
If your grandfather's will was probated you would receive a notice from the court. What is more likely is that all those CD's were either in a trust or were owned jointly by your grandfather and someone else. If you were not a beneficiary of the trust the trustee would not give you any type of notice. If you know where he banked and which bank issued the CD's they might tell you if you were a co-owner with your grandfather.
All heirs have the right to know what is in the Will. Contact the executor or administrator of the Will. If it has been filed with the Court's probate department go and look at the entire file, which will include the Will.
Yes. You may have to file a probate to find out.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
Yes, send a letter to the Trustee or Executor and inquire. Keep a copy and mail it certified, ask for a written response within 30 days.
If you are a beneficiary, you are entitled to a copy of the will. See a lawyer if you are getting stonewalled.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    Once the will is probated, all beneficiaries of the will should receive a copy of the will before distribution takes place. If no one steps up to the plate to probate the estate hire an attorney to probate the estate yourself.
    You don't say when your grandfather died. If it was within the past year, the estate may still be in probate. Only after his estate pays all his final expenses and any taxes due will the heirs receive their bequests. If you think that you have been mentioned in his will, you can inform the probate court that you would like to be notified of the executor's actions, including whether or not you are mentioned in the will.
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    The answer depends on facts not included in your summary. Are you over 18? If not, then someone will need to be appointed conservator for you. That person would be entitled to a copy of the documents in question.You do not say if a probate estate has been opened for your grandfather or not. If it has not, then there is no one in a position to do ANYTHING, at this point. Probate would need to be opened, unless you are designated as a beneficiary of these assets. If that is the case, the Will does not apply. You would need to contact the companies involved, directly, in order to make a claim.
    Obtain probate/trust litigation attorney to represent you in obtaining the information you are requesting, as you may be entitled to part of the assets of the estate of your grandfather.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
    Yes you should be notified, unless you are underage and then the trustee and your guardians (parents) would be the ones to be notified.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    If money was left in trust, the trustee should notify you of the trust and your rights under the trust. For a gift in a will, you will get notice when a personal representative is appointed and the will is submitted to the court. If you are named as a beneficiary of bank or brokerage accounts, you may get no notice; you just have to ask the bank.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Yes you do. Get an attorney.
    James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law
    James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law | James Oberholtzer
    You have the right to know. No one has a duty to tell you unless they are the trustee of a trust or appointed personal representative. If no one else is in charge, you will have to investigate on your own.
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C. | Donald Scher
    Yes, the executor of the estate has the duty to inform you about the details of the estate. The trustee of the trust has the same duty.
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
    If your grandfather's estate is in probate and you are mentioned in his will, you should receive notice of the proceedings and a copy of the will. Contact your grandfather's estate attorney to obtain copies. You should also file a Request for Special Notice, so that you can receive copies of all documents filed in the matter. Contact a probate attorney if you have further questions.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    Yes, you do have rights. You should ask the person who has been appointed as the personal representative/executor/executrix of the estate. If they won't tell you, file a petition with the probate court for an accounting.
    C Page Hamrick Attorney at Law | C Page Hamrick
    FOR WEST VIRGINIA ONLY: In West Virginia, at death, Wills and Appraisements of estates are recorded in the local county clerk's recording office. You can get a copy there and determine if you have been left anything in a will and what is listed as the assets of the estate.
    Answer Applies to: West Virginia
    Generally, these things do not happen instantly, how long as he been dead? If you are named as either a beneficiary or payable on death on CDs or were a beneficiary of the trust generally you will be notified. If an extended period of time goes forward without your being notified you should engage an attorney to see what is happening. Please realize that trusts and bequests can be changed at any time, and that prior to the time there are any distributions the debts and obligations of the estate or trust must be met.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    If there is a will the will must be filed with the clerk of the circuit court in the county of residence of the deceased at the time of death. The will must be filed promptly. Failure to timely file the will is actually a felony but is rarely prosecuted. As an interested person you could open a probate estate and force the filing of the will. If there is a trust you could ask the trustee to provide you with a copy of the trust agreement. If the trust is the beneficiary under a will you could force the disclosure of the trust in a probate proceeding.