Does a shoplifting record stay on my record forever? 6 Answers as of April 14, 2014

I'm 18 and this is my first offense. I've never even had anything as small as a speeding ticket. I was caught shoplifting about $50 worth of groceries from my local grocery store. I have a court date in 4 days and I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do or what I'm being fined. How do I find out exactly what I was charged with? How do I find out the fees I have to pay? Is there anything I can do to get this off my record? For example community service, paying a fee, etc. Or will it be on my criminal record forever and there's nothing I can do about it?

You shoplifted, you face jail time. Simple.
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
In NJ there is a diversionary program for first offenders. It will not result in a criminal record.
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
There are number of things that you can potentially do, or agreed to, or seek a plea bargained for. What you really need is an attorney now. As for your record, once something is on your record it does stay unless you qualify, some years later, and actively seek to have it removed. The best thing to do is to avoid having it get to your record in the first place.
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
Yes it stays on your record forever unless you work out a resolution where it doesn't go on your record or you have it expunged at a later date. You should get an attorney asap.
    The shoplifting charge will remain on your record for life in most cases. Best to hire a lawyer and have the case dismissed. May not have much time if court is in 4 days.