Does she have to pay me child support for the child that lives with me now? 16 Answers as of May 05, 2014

I have been paying her child support for 3 children. One of the children has come to live with me now. I know I don't have to pay her for that child support.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
If you have made a change in custody then you should make a change in the support order as well. Do not assume that just because one child is with you now the court will not find you liable for support. You should bring an action to change the custody and support if both of you can not stipulate to the change.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/5/2014
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
You need to file a motion to amend child custody and child support.. your payment to her will be reduced, note eliminated.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/2/2014
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
Actually, I would recommend filing a motion to modify the child support. Technically, you are still obligated to pay child support in accordance with the Family Court order. If one of the children is living with you, you can request a reduction in child support. Forms can be found online at the Family Court's website.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/2/2014
C Page Hamrick Attorney at Law | C Page Hamrick
FOR WEST VIRGINIA ONLY: When there has been a substantial change in circumstances, such as a child moving from one parent to the other, then a child support obligor may file a petition to modify child support with the court. However, until you file, the old child support order is still in effect. Generally (but not always), the court will make a modification of child support effective from the date of filing of the petition for modification.
Answer Applies to: West Virginia
Replied: 5/2/2014
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
He need to go to court to modify the child support order.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/2/2014
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
    You must change the parenting and support orders.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
    You need to get a new court order to make sure you have the right to get child support.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    Child support is calculated from the Florida Child Support Guidelines Worksheet. It is NOT a negotiated amount. You will need to do the correct calculations in order to determine both of your child support obligations.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
    Correct you have to ask the court to modify that.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    Child support would be calculated by placing your incomes in the chart, with you having one child and her having two.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    John Ceci PLLC
    John Ceci PLLC | John Ceci
    You need to petition the court to modify the custody arrangement and to modify child support. If you are near Livingston County this is the sort of thing I can handle for you. If you have three children together and two live with her I suspect what will happen is that you will continue to pay her support but in a lower amount.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Fran Brochstein
    Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
    In Texas a court need to modify your child support. She has not been "ordered" by a court to pay child support so she technically owes you zero. Of course, what you pay remains the same until modified by a judge. What normally happens is that the court will calculate what you should pay for 2 kids and what she should pay for one child. Then they subtract the numbers and whatever is left is paid to the other parent. So if you make minimum wage and she is a multi-millionaire, she will pay you child support each month. Or, if you make about the same then the amount paid will be very small or the court could make child support zero. Talk to an attorney in your county.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    You do until you go back to court and get the child support order modified because there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
    Child support is determined by the income of the parties and the amount of time spent with the minor children.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    In Michigan that change in circumstances would have to be taken into account, you would pay her support on two, she to you on one and only the net amount would actually be transferred. See an attorney, until the old order is modified and fully operative.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    D. R. Phillips Law Firm, LLC
    D. R. Phillips Law Firm, LLC | Randy Phillips
    Child support is paid according to the last court order. If circumstances have changed then one of the parties should file asking that the court order be changed.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 5/2/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney