Does QDRO has to be done by the lawyer from the state where divorce took place? Posted on February 16, 2011

I am living out of the US. I had very long lasting case started by my ex, years after divorce, modifying our divorce agreement. I lost a lot. I did appeal, I lost. But this is already past. The last lawyer (I had four of them), after appeal fail, offer to me to do QDRO for "free." Shortly, he (the lawyer does not do anything), 2 years already passed by. He does not answer my emails, just ignores me completely. Divorce case was in New Mexico. Accordingly to my divorce papers, I should get my part of 401, over 3 years ago. (when ex turned 59 and 1/2) . I do not know the place of work of my ex, lawyer is ignoring my questions about it as well. What are my options? To narrow my question: Does QDRO has to be done by the lawyer from the state where divorce took place? If I will to hire another lawyer, will my present lawyer have to support to him (her) my files? If answer to last one is YES Can I do it over Internet?