Does possession of marijuana in your car affect your driving record? 1 Answers as of November 02, 2010

I am going to start working as a nanny but my employer wants to make sure that I have a clean driving record. I was caught for possession of marijuana in my car (but I was not under the influence) and I was wondering if this would be on my driving record and if I would have to report that.

Jackson White, PC
Jackson White, PC | Jeremy Geigle
Typically when an officer stop a vehicle and finds an illegal drug inside, he will request that the person submit to a urinalysis in order to determine if there is any drug in the persons system. Some drugs, including marijuana can stay in the persons system for 30 days. If a person smokes marijuana, then he/she is at risk of receiving a DUI if pulled over in the proximate 30 days.

Possession of a drug does not normally affect a driving record. However, the MVD is an independent agency and has a tremendous amount of discretion over the privilege to drive. If, for example, the MVD believed that there were evidence that a drug was in the drivers system while driving, it could suspend driving privileges.

Also, a person can request a copy of their driving record to see what infractions are noted on it.