Does the person have to be at home when serving divorce papers? 14 Answers as of January 22, 2014

When serving divorce papers to the hand of the person being divorced, can they just be dropped off at the door and left there without the person being home?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ms. Cheryl Osterberg | Cheryl Osterberg
There has to be personal service, at home at work, or wherever he may be found. Most process servers will return citation as unserved if they are unsuccessful after 2 or 3 attempts. If he evades service, there are alternative, substituted methods of service available, but they will cost extra for additional issuance and alternative service of process (posting at the courthouse and/or legal notice).
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/22/2014
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
No. The person can be served anywhere. Service of papers cannot be just dropped off at the door. My suggestion is that you have the Sheriff serve the papers for you. That way, the papers will be served properly and there won?t be a dispute as to proper service later in the case.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/22/2014
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
They can be left if the person not home, and a copy mailed by process server to that address as well.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 1/22/2014
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Frances An
No. You have to at least see the person. You do not have to place them in the person's hand, but you have to see the person. Then you can leave them. You should announce that they are served and leave the the papers. The server should not be the one asking for the divorce. It should be someone else, preferably a process server. They know how to do it, and the court will believe them.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/22/2014
John Russo | John Russo
If the court had granted a motion for tack on service then yes.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/22/2014
    Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
    An individual has to physically receive the divorce papers or someone else has to physically accept service.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
    The paperwork must first be tried to served on them personallycertified mail or an actual service person handing it to thembefore the paperwork could be sent to them regular mail.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    They must be personally served, whether at home or somewhere else.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    For documents requiring personal service, such as a dissolution petition, then someone must be at the residence to receive the papers. Just leaving them at the door is not proper service.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    Divorce papers require personal service.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 1/22/2014
    Catchick Law, PC
    Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
    Ideally, they should be handed to the person. I would strongly recommend you hire the local sheriff or a professional process serving company to do the serving. You do NOT have to serve the person at home - you can serve them at work or just about anywhere else.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/22/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney