Does one state allow another state's Franchise Tax Board to garnish wages? 5 Answers as of September 30, 2014

I recently moved to WA State (as a Federal employee) and just received a Balance Due Notice from the CA FTB for more than $100K for Estimated Taxes/penalties/Interest/Fees 1993-1996. I remember discussing with them then to prove their accusations. I was a one man self-employed remodeling contractor (and a Home Schooling Advocate). They seized my bank account at the time with less than $4 as I recall. I moved. Idaho, MT, SD and now WA. Should I pursue Chapter 7/13? I have no assets to speak of and gross less than $48k/year.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Yes, all states are required to accept tax judgments from other states. Either a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13 will discharge this old debt.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 9/30/2014
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
Yes, they can garnish wages.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/30/2014
D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
Consult with a local attorney in your area. The short answer is yes. The FTB can seek wage garnishment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/30/2014
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
Yes they can do it cross borders. Check with local counsel re filing. The rules here are tricky and I don't know enough about your facts to answer this fully.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/30/2014
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
One creditor can collect on a judgment if the debtor moves to another state. This is called "Comity". Certain things have to be done in advance, but it is permissible if you follow the procedures. I would strongly recommend that you go in for a face to face meeting with a lawyer to discuss your situation. This forum lends it self to short questions which can be answered quickly. As an attorney, I would need answers to a lot of questions before I could tell you how to proceed. Be ready to pay a reasonable amount for the consultation. When you do the Free Consultation, you get what you pay for (that's my biased opinion, but I have successfully filed THOUSANDS of bankruptcies!!). Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 9/30/2014
Click to View More Answers: