Does my step daughter have the right to leave and come back home to us? 3 Answers as of August 05, 2011

My step daughter has lived in my home for 2 years in washington state and her mom moved to california. Her mom bagged her to go see her so my step daughter left and now 1 month later, she wants to come home and her mom is saying no. So my question is does my step daughter who is 15 have the right to leave and come back home to us? There is no court involved.

Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You need to start a third party/non parental custody action.
A 15 year old is not an adult in Washington so she has little or no rights in this regard.Her parentseach of the same rights in regards to her until a parenting plan is put in place.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
You said that there is no court involved. I assume that this means that for whatever reason, there is no parenting plan, no custody order, and no child support order. Assuming this to be the case, then the parents have equal rights to the child. It also means that whoever has possession of the child is likely to be the one calling the shots until either the child turns age 18 or a court gets involved. Generally, the child does not get to pick where he or she lives.