Does my situation count as a second shoplifting offense? 11 Answers as of December 12, 2013

I told the police when I was caught for shoplifting my first time being caught last night that I stole from another store about a month ago. The other store has me on camera and charges me with shoplifting.

Cramer Cramer LLC | Aric Cramer
Well had you not spoken to the police you would only have one charge. You will now have two. You need to get legal representation immediately and not discuss these cases with anyone else.
Number Two.
Were you charged in court with shoplifting the first time? This makes a difference.
Yes. Sounds like you haven't learned your lesson.
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
If you confessed to the police that this was your 2nd time shoplifting, and the other store has video evidence and files a police report and the prosecutor charges you with shoplifting from the first store, then yes, your most recent shoplifting event will be considered a 2nd offense.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
    You are not making good decisions. Not only are you committing a misdemeanor that carries up to a year in jail and a criminal record for a few dollars worth of stuff, but you are confession to the police about the crime and telling them about another crime. Life is about making good decisions and you need to consider hte consequences of your actions before you do something, not after when it is too late. If you get a criminal record for theft it will be very difficult to get a decent job for the rest of your life and that it why young people should never shoplift or commit any crime. I am sure that you have learned a valuable lesson and your lawyer may be able to get a violation or ACD dismissal so that you can have a clean record.
    You would have to have a prior conviction.
    It can only count as a second offense if you have a previous conviction. If you have not been convicted of the other offense, it would not be counted as a previous conviction for purposes of increasing the charge against you. It can be used, however, to determine the total value of the merchandise stolen if they believe it was part of a scheme or ongoing plan.
    If convicted of both, you will have two separate shoplifting on your record. These show up as two petty theft convictions.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Probably. But this depends on whether you are convicted of the first offense. You definitely need to retain legal counsel ASAP.
    Yes, there are two offenses which would support two counts in the prosecution.