Does my mother need a re-entry permit to return if she has a green card? 3 Answers as of April 11, 2011

My mom is green card holder. She left the US 9 months ago and wants to come back now. Does she need re-entry permit?

She can come back. However, she might be stopped at the border because she stayed outside the US for over 6 months. She needs a reasonable explanation that demonstrates she did not intend to abandon permanent residence. Good luck!
You can only file a re-entry permit before you depart the U.S. So if your mom departed before filing a re-entry permit she cannot do so while outside the U.S. I would advise her to return to the U.S. to avoid intent to abandon issues.
You can only apply for a re-entry permit if you are in the US. She cannot apply for it outside the U.S. If this was her first trip of more than 6 months outside the U.S. she should not have a problem returning. However, she should be ready to explain why she was out for so long, and that she did not intend to abandon her Green Card when she left.