Does my line of work affect my custody? 26 Answers as of June 29, 2011

I work in an adult club only 3 nights a week but make more money than my husband, can this affect the custody of my children?

Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
The bigger question is, does it interfere in the life of your children? The court looks at many factors when determining child custody, not just how makes the most and what type of job the hold, but what is overall in the best interest of the child.
Law Office of Karen A. Clark, L.L.C.
Law Office of Karen A. Clark, L.L.C. | Karen A. Clark
For the most part, one's line of work should not affect whether s/he will be granted custody of her/his child(ren). The court will review whether the parent has been abusive or neglectful or whether the parent has engaged in inappropriate behavior in regard to the child.
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
He could try to make it an issue, as he will claim that your morals are not good and that he should get custody of the children. The burden would be on you to show that it is in your children best interests to primarily reside with you, despite your line of work.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
Rarely would your line of work have any impact on your ability to be awarded legal or physical custody. However, if your work requires you to travel a substantial period of time then that could interfere with your ability to be awarded primary physical custody of your child. Feel free to contact our office for more information about your legal matter.
Komanapalli Massey LLP
Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
The presumption under the law is that 50-50 custody is in your kids' best interests. You have given insufficient fasts to suggest a likely outcome. However, the nature of your work should not figure into the equation. Then again, if you are an exotic dancer and your children's best interests will, in the judge's opinion be negatively impacted by that fact, then it could indeed cause even a shift in custody.
    I think it depends on the judge. However, being a performance artist, in and of itself, should not prohibit custody. It could certainly be possible to be a great artist and a great mommy. If you are in the Mobile County area, you can call our office to set a time to discuss your facts. I would think the other side would need to show something more, drug use perhaps, or unfit moral environment by having guests spend the night while the child is home would be typical examples. If that was your job during the marriage and the husband benefited from your income, I would argue his objection, now, is disingenuous. Stay well.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    While technically the job that you hold should have nothing to do with what timesharing arrangement is determined to be in your children's best interest (as long as it is not endangering them or potentially harming them in some way), it may. Judge's are human, and there is still a stigma in many people's opinions with that line of work, even though it has nothing to do with your parenting abilities or the type of home you provide for your children. That said, it sounds as if you have been doing this line of work for a while, even while you were married, and if your Husband didn't have a problem with it then, it's a rather transparent argument for him to be bringing it up now, I would think. That said, at a minimum, on the nights that you work, your children would probably be with the other parent.
    The judge deciding your case in Washington is human and will have an opinion whether your occupation effects your parenting.
    Brian Walker Law Firm, P.C.
    Brian Walker Law Firm, P.C. | Brian Walker
    If you mean, will the nature of your employment affect the court's willingness to place the children with you, the short answer is no. If, however, the father of your children alleges that the nature of your work affects your home life, i.e.; he claims that you are bringing them home from the club, then it could. I don't know whether your employment is just bartending or whether it is working as a performer, but, practicing in the Portland/Vancouver areas for nearly 15 years, I have represented several women over the years who were exotic performers and I have yet to see a client lose custody of her children due to this type of work. It has always been my position that this type of work is legal and that there is not necessarily any connection between work and home life. It is important, however, to proceed carefully in this type of matter so that it can be presented in the most positive light. If you would like to discuss this, we generally offer free consultations on this type of matter.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    It is likely going to depend on what you are doing at the adult club. If your spouse in a fight can convince the court that what you are doing is a bad moral influence upon the children, or that it somehow endangers the children, or exposes them to influences that they should not be exposed to, then, it might. Depending on the ages of the children, and the availability of alternate care, the hours you work could also have an impact on the court's thinking about who the children should primarily live with.
    Custody and parenting issues are based on what is in the best interest of the child. The question will be what exactly your "line of work" is and how it may affect the child and your availability to parent.
    Maybe. It could depend on the Judge.
    It could because of the moral/ethical aspects of that type of work. You can be sure he will claim prostitution or the like and you will wind up defending against those claims. You would be well advised to hire a lawyer as soon as you can and map out a strategy soon. Good luck.
    Pontrello Law
    Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
    There is no more custody in Florida. it is a shared responsibility. unless you are doing illegal acts, it should not.
    You should discuss all the facts and your options with a family law or divorce attorney in your area. While that line of work wouldn't help here, it is one of a number of factors which you should discuss with your attorney. You will also discuss with your lawyer all the facts which show you would be a better custodial parent. Good luck!
    You can argue that you do not expose the kids to it.
    Meriwether & Tharp LLC
    Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
    In Georgia, one's employment can impact a custody determination. It will vary from courtroom to courtroom. For example, if you are a truck driver traveling 5 days a week, then it is not practical for you to be the primary physical custodian because you are not home most of the time. For a more specific answer you should consult with a local divorce attorney.
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    Under Washington law it is hard to say whether your employment would affect parenting decisions. I would not expect comparative incomes to be a factor, but some courts might consider employment in an adult club to reflect on your ability to provide an appropriate environment for a child. I don't think the employment should be a factor, but courts do have a lot of discretion in these matters. There may be related issues, such as working late hours, that might also be considered in terms of your ability to be there for your children.
    It shouldn't. Custody is based on the quality of parenting, not the type of employment of the parents.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    Most states steer the parents toward a shared parenting plan. That would not be influence by your occupation in Ohio or Michigan. Please schedule a visit with a local domestic relations attorney to find out about your state's laws.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    Your lifestyle choices can affect custody. Custody is determined based upon the best interests of the children.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    Under Georgia law in and of itself the fact that you work in an adult club shouldn't matter; but if you get a conservative judge it could be a factor. You need to discuss all of the details regarding your custody case, not just your line of work, with an attorney who can assess your case.
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
    Depending on jurisdiction, judge, attitude of the family relations officers and GAL's, it could either have no impact or a major impact. These types of things are very case sensitive.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    The Court will ultimately determine what is in the best interests if the children. If you can show your occupation does not have an impact on them, then you may have custody rights.
    It might. Discuss this with your lawyer. Not having a lawyer in a custody dispute is a great way to lose custody.