Does my lease have to be honored by the building's new management? 8 Answers as of August 05, 2013

I moved into this building last September under a 12-month lease. The property has since been sold and there is a new landlord, and he wants to raise my rent from $750.00 to $975.00 and I'm still in my leasing period. Can this be done legally?

No, the new owner takes the building and its leases as they were under the old owner. You have a contract with the prior owner that the new one must honor.
No. The terms of your lease must be followed.
Gateway Legal Group | Christian J. Albut
If you are still in the term of your lease the landlord cannot raise your rental amount. You would be locked into the rental amount that was originally agreed to in the written lease. Under most circumstances the new party or owner would have to assume the rental agreement as written.
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
No, the new landlord must honor the lease unless you agreed to modify it.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
While the lease is transferable to a new landlord, the rent cannot change until your lease expires. In Washington, under RCW 59.18.140, "Except for termination of tenancy, after thirty days written notice to each affected tenant, a new rule of tenancy including a change in the amount of rent may become effective upon completion of the term of the rental agreement or sooner upon mutual consent." This means that your lease needs to expire first, or you must consent to the change. If you were on a month to month tenancy, it would be 30-days after the latest monthly period. For example, you current proposed rent increase could not take effect until 30-days after September, 2013. This is intended to give you all of October to decide to stay or relocate. However, keep in mind that when the lease ends, the tenancy terminates by law and you must vacate by the end of the lease. No notice is required to leave, though it is advisable as a practical matter. If you stay, you are considered to have held-over, which may be accepted by your landlord to continue the tenancy month-to-month, or your landlord may try to evict you for not leaving at the lease's end. Whether you leave or stay, it is advisable to provide the landlord notice of your intent. If this were a month to month tenancy, the rent increase could not take effect until September 1st, 2013, giving you all of August to decide to stay or vacate. If you vacate, you must give 20-days written notice before the end of the month. The rules are slightly different within a month to month tenancy. You must give notice because there is no lease that otherwise serves this purpose.
    Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser
    Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser | Jacob R. Lauser
    If you have a 12-month lease, then you should see whether it includes a clause that gives the landlord a right of termination when he sells or otherwise legally conveys the building. If it says nothing about terminating the lease upon sale or transfer, then your new landlord must honor the old lease and cannot raise your rent.
    The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
    Unless there is a provision of your Lease or a local law to the contrary the rent can be raised. If your Lease is recorded in the Public Records, then the rent probably cannot be raised.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    It has to be honored.