Does my husband need to contact the DMV and send in his treatment completion certificate after a DUI? 4 Answers as of April 04, 2011

My husband got a DUI in Minnesota in August 2006. He was licensed in California. We now live GA. He completed his DUI classes and outpatient treatment. Does he need to contact the DMV and send in his treatment completion certificate? Should he send them to both MN and CA DMV?

Robert Mortland
Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
You must contact DMV to get your license back if you want your CA drivers license.
He needs to do everything that was required and expected of him by any court or any DMV. If you doesnt, that court could violate his probation and issue an arrest warrant, or the DMV involved suspend his license, which would result in any other state involved also suspending his license there. They are all computer tied together for enforcement. There is no running and hiding.
Your question cannot be easily answered as there are two different DMV's that are involved. If action was taken by California than yes he will need to show completion of a California approved program and he will also have to pay a license reissue fee, typically $125. It is unclear if Minnesota did anything to an imaginary MN driver's license. I would recommend discussing this with your husband's previous attorney.