Does my fiance still have to pay taxes from when he was married? 4 Answers as of March 09, 2011

Back in 2006 my fiance was married, he and his spouse filed their 2006 taxes, late in October 2008.They filed married joint, the fed says they owe $4,000.00 in taxes, However they divorced and it became final October 2010. His ex refuses to pay anything and is leaving him with all the debt. My tax adviser says that he should not be responsible to pay the entire amount, he should only have to pay half of the amount they owed to the fed. is this true? If we get married will I have to owe this money too?

Law Office of Harry Gordon Oliver II
Law Office of Harry Gordon Oliver II | Harry Gordon Oliver II
Your community property can be used by the IRS but not your separate property.
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
It is not true. He and his ex are jointly and severally liable for such taxes, meaning that they are both liable and if the debt can be collected against one of them the IRS can and will do so. If you get married you will not be liable for this debt except if you file jointly with your husband. Remember, too, that if you file married filing separately, in most cases the two of you will pay more taxes than if filing jointly. So it may pay you to get the tax liability sooner rather than later.
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
You will not have to owe the money but his fiance will owe half the liability which he still must pay.
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
It sounds like his ex spouse does owe one-half.