Does my father have any rights to any of my stepmother’s inheritance if they have been married for 30 years? 9 Answers as of June 04, 2014

My stepmother is the trustee and beneficiary for her unmarried brother’s estate. He has no children and no other siblings. She has been married to my father for 30 years. Is her inheritance from her brother supposed to be shared with my father? She has formed separate corporations with her children, omitting him completely. The trust was in California, they live in Idaho.

James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
She has every right to NOT share her inheritance with her husband - inheritance is separate property.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
Your father is not entitled the inheritance from your step mothers brother, it is separate property.
Under Ca law, an inheritance is separate property, and the spouse has no claim. Ca is a community property state; I cannot advise on Idaho law.
Inheritance is the recipient's separate property. This means she does not have to share any of the inheritance with your father.
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
In California an inheritance is normally considered a spouse's separate property. Whatever proceeds that are co-mingled with community property may then be considered as community property. Not sure if it is different in Idaho?
    Father has no inheritance rights to her separate property, but may have rights to her one half share of the community property if she did not will her one half out to someone else.
    Neal M. Rimer, Esquire
    Neal M. Rimer, Esquire | Neal M. Rimer
    An inheritance is the separate property of the recipient. Your stepmother can do what she wants with her inheritance. Your father is not "entitled" to your stepmother's separate property.
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
    Any inheritance an individual receives from a trust or probate estate is considered that individual's sole and separate property.
    An inheritance is separate property and she does not have to share it.