Does my ex have a right to ask for child care payments when she was the one watching our kids? 2 Answers as of July 31, 2011

I have been trying to get a divorce from my ex-wife since early July 2008, since late 2008 up in till September of 2010 she was with out a job. Her and her lawyer wanted to add day care arrears for me to pay, however there was never any child care to pay for since she was with the children during the day. Once she started working her father would do all the pick up for out children at school and taking them to a after school program that was offered to us at no additional cost to have our kids there. The reason they want to add it is because they feel I should pay for the gas that it took to get the kids to school etc. Does she have a right to collect on child care cost when she was the one taking care of the children?

Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
If child care payments were not actually made to a third party, then no, she is not entitled to collect for any payments. I strongly suggest you retain an attorney to assist you in the process, as it sounds as if they may be trying to obtain things from you that they are not entitled to. An attorney can properly advise you of your rights and help you protect those rights.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
Unlikely this is going to float. I would be very surprised. Good luck.