Does my child have a right to child support after I told her father that I did not want any financial help from him? Posted on June 27, 2011

I am a single mother of a 17-year-old daughter. My child's father was providing (non-court ordered) child support because we were engaged until about 7 years ago. When he broke off our engagement, (in anger) I told him that I did not want any financial support from him. Needless to say, he stopped paying child support. Over the years he occasionally sent money for Christmas or birthdays. In October 2010 I was laid off my job and requested that he start helping out financially, to which he agreed. Our daughter has had lots of medical issues over the years, especially in the last year, even requiring a hospital stay in May 2010. Since my layoff, in caring for our sick child, I started experiencing seizures almost on a daily basis due to the high stress level. My physician suggested I apply for disability due to my inability to work. Again, I requested that he contribute financially and again he agreed. In the past few months he has sent various amounts of child support on an infrequent basis. Last week I told him that if he didn't started paying more money on a consistent basis that I would sue him for child support. I've decided to proceed with the application for child support services. My question is: does the fact that 7 years ago I told him that I didn't want any financial support have a bearing on my case now? That statement was made in anger & hurt as our engagement was called off.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: