Does my child's father have to pay back the county/state if I apply for government aid & collect child support? 3 Answers as of May 21, 2012

An ex got me pregnant and skipped town. I've decided to keep the child, and I plan to collect child support from him. But I'll be needing government aid as well: WIC, cash aid (maybe), Medi-cal, any other assistant programs available. I was told by one lawyer that I would probably get more benefits from government aide than I would from his paycheck. With the possibility of that being true - his garnished wages wouldn't come to me, that money would go back to the county. Is there any loophole around this catch? Government aide won't cover other items I'll need for the baby (ie: a crib, clothes, etc)

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
If your child support is not enough because Dad does not make much money then you can apply for welfare. You do have to tell them you are getting support. Usually the non custodial parent has to pay back the welfare. If he is paying support in addition to welfare then you have to ask the welfare if he will need to pay back. It is a situation if they give it to you or not. Not that you WANT to collect both. Ask them. Medi-cal will be for the child if the father or you can not provide medical insurance.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/21/2012
Diefer Law Group, P.C.
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
Yes, if the county provides aid then the county can go after him for repayment of the public assistance.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/16/2012
Law Office of L. Paul Zahn
Law Office of L. Paul Zahn | Paul Zahn
If you are receiving cash assistance from the County, they you are required to assign your rights to receive child support to the County. They get reimbursed (to the extent provided for by the order) and you get your financial assistance. If you are receiving aid other than cash assistance, you can still collect child support, but there is no guarantee that he will pay. It is impossible to say whether you would be entitled to more from the government than from your ex without knowing how much your ex earns and how much you would get in financial assistance from the County.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/16/2012
Click to View More Answers: