Does my boyfriend have to do the two year sentence? 4 Answers as of April 10, 2012

My boyfriend was sentenced to 2 years tdc and I was wondering what that means and does he have to do the whole 2 years?

Law Office of Timothy M. Donahue | Timothy M. Donahue
It depends on what type of case he was convicted of. For some convictions, at least half of the sentence has to be served before the person is eligible for parole.
It is impossible to answer without knowing details. If he was sentenced to 2 years State Jail, that is day for day. If he was sentenced to 2 years TDC, was he sentenced to the minimum on a 3rd degree or 2nd degree felony? Is the underlying charge a 3g offense? Is it DWI related? What is his prior criminal history? All of this plays into the parole board's decision to parole or not. But, as a general rule (note, this is just a common rule, not anything you can demand) if BF behaves well and is not in State Jail, he can get out between 9 months and 14 months with credit for back time spent in the county jail awaiting trial. If he spent 6 months in county waiting trial, he can do a turn-around. Note, "can" does not mean he will. It is up to the Parole Board and your boyfriend's attitude and criminal history.
Robert Valles and Associates P.C.
Robert Valles and Associates P.C. | Robert Valles Jr.
No he can get out early with parole
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
That means he is going to prison. He may or may not have to do the entire sentence. Some times people with such short sentences (the minimum) get "serve-all" which means no parole - when he is released he is done. However, if he is paroled, he will be on paper until the sentence is over.