Does the marriage location matter for a spousal visa? 5 Answers as of February 21, 2011

I am a US citizen, my boyfriend is a British citizen. I want to start petitioning for him to migrate here. I will be visiting the UK the end of February. Does it matter where the marriage take place? In the States or in the UK? He already has a visiting visa to enter the country but at least this way we can save some money if it is done in the UK on this upcoming trip.

It doesn't matter as long as the marriage is valid where it is entered into.

If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
No it does not matter where you get married for purposes of filing the petition. However, if you married him in the UK and he tries to enter as a visitor he could have a problem since his intent would not be to visit, but to stay. If so, he could be denied entry and even expedited removed. Both of which could prevent him from immigration to the US even if you are married.
Congratulations on upcoming marriage. No, it does not matter where you get your marriage certificate. However, marriage certificate alone will not be enough to prove your relationship is not entered to evade immigration law. Hire an attorney to help you to prepare petition package. Many people were denied because of poor preparation.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
It doesn't matter where was the marriage, as long as the marriage is valid where performed. Good luck.
You are able to marry anywhere!