Does lost money tied up in state include great grandchildren and how do I find out how much is there? 14 Answers as of April 07, 2014

I found remains of grandmother estate under lost State is still holding it. My father tried to obtain information 20 years ago to no avail. She changed her will and locked out all her children and grandchildren.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
In Maryland, who the "lost money" passes to should depend on who is entitled to inherit in the estate. If there is a valid Last Will and Testament, then typically the Will governs to determine who inherits the property. However, if there is no Will, then the state intestacy (no will) rules should govern, and typically the grandmother's spouse, children, or/and grandchildren will inherit. You may be able to contact a representative at the Comptroller of Maryland's Office to learn the amount of unclaimed funds.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 4/7/2014
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
I depends on the situation. In most cases, if there is a Will, the assets would pass according to the terms of the Will. There are some exceptions which include allowances for exempt property and family. You may be able to collect the funds on these bases, although there may be an uphill battle with the state. It would seem that the Will beneficiaries would also have incentive to fight you on this.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/2/2014
Law Office Of Victor Waid
Law Office Of Victor Waid | Victor Waid
Suggest you obtain probate attorney represent you t guide you in making your claim.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/2/2014
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
In California you can check at Follow their instructions! You may need to go through your local probate court. Find out if and where a probate was done, usually in the county where the death occurred, then you can access the court records to see what the outcome was.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/2/2014
Danville Law Group | Scott Jordan
How much money is being held by the State? Which State is holding the money? Before knowing how to obtain the money, the above questions need to be answered.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/2/2014
    Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
    If your grandmother's estate has escheated to the state of Ohio, Your father (and his siblings) can recover it through the Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of unclaimed funds.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 4/2/2014
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    Hard to say, you might need an attorney to review her Will to advise you. Normally the state only has monies in unclaimed property when there is no Will.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 4/2/2014
    The Law Office of David L. Leon
    The Law Office of David L. Leon | David L. Leon
    If she had a will, then the will would control the disposition. If the will was lost, or never probated, then intestacy MAY control (fact specific). Was the will ever probated?
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 4/2/2014
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    An attorney can certainly help you try to recover that money. CALL ONE!
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/2/2014
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    The State will release such funds to the estate of the original owner. The executor or a successor to the executor would have to claim the funds and it would be distributed in accordance with the terms of the Will. Persons who were not legatees under the Will do not receive any distribution now.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/2/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    It should go as directed by the will.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 4/2/2014
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    An estate has to be established and a personal representative appointed before the funds are released. Maybe you can check with the agency to see if it?s worth opening an estate which will cost you over $400 to open if one hadn?t been open previously, then its only $50 to reopen. Although they may not be able to disclose the exact amount, you can explain the situation so you can make a decision whether its worth it or not.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 4/2/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    See an attorney, however after 20 years it is doubtful that there will be a recovery.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/2/2014
    Sebby Law Office
    Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
    Contact the state agency holding the money and ask them how much there is and what the process to claim the money involves.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 4/2/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney