Does the licensed driver have to go to court if a holder of a learner's permit gets a traffic ticket? 1 Answers as of February 25, 2014

My daughter has a friend who has a driving learner's permit. He was driving her car when he was pulled over and received a ticket for reckless driving and driving after 9 pm (There was no DUI involved, but there were no other categories that I could select). My daughter ( a licensed NY State driver ) was with him when he received his tickets. She wanted to know if she is required to appear with her friend in traffic court. She prefers not to, but wasn't sure if she is required to under NY law because she was the owner of the car and the licensed driver. And more than anything, she wasn't to know if she will have any liability for allowing a permit holder to drive after hours? I am an attorney (transnational) and am clueless about this. Court appearance is 2/25/14. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
It's an unusual set of facts but if she needed to appear as well, I am certain that they would have given her a summons also. Let your daughter's friend know that Reckless Driving is an unclassified misdemeanor under New York Vehicle Traffic Law Section 1212 and pleading guilty or being found guilty after trial would result in their having a permanent criminal record in NY that cannot be erased or expunged no matter how long she stays out of trouble in the future.