Does it matter where I retain an attorney for a federal crime? 26 Answers as of December 02, 2010

Does it matter where I retain an attorney for a my husbands federal drug crime?

Law Office of Alton William Wiley, Jr.
Law Office of Alton William Wiley, Jr. | Alton William Wiley, Jr.
In U.S. District Court in R.I. you must be a member of the Federal Bar. Yes it does matter. If you would like to discuss this matter with me.
The Poster Law Firm, PLLC
The Poster Law Firm, PLLC | Rick D Poster
Depends - a local attorney will cost less than hiring long distance.
Law Offices of Jack N. Whitaker
Law Offices of Jack N. Whitaker | Jack Nathan Whitaker
No. What is important is that you find an attorney who is competent and practices in Federal Court.
Any attorney that is a member of the federal bar.
Yes and No. You will need to find a lawyer who handles federal drug cases though. Not every lawyer is a member of the Federal Bar. I am a member of the Eastern, Northern, and Western Districts in Texas. So unless this occurred in Laredo, my office is equipped to handle this case. I would be happy to discuss the facts with you. Please call my office for an appointment.
    The Barrix Law Firm
    The Barrix Law Firm | Jason Barrix
    An attorney must be admitted to practice in that Court. Local lawyers may have knowledge of local court rules. however usually any lawyer can be admitted to pursue or defend a case.
    It only matters to the extent that the attorney will need to physically go to the federal court where the case is. It is obviously to your advantage to hire someone who is familiar with the local procedures and has some influence in the local legal community.
    It obviously needs to be an attorney local to the court, otherwise you are going to pay extra for travel and per diem time. Plus, he has to be admitted to practice in that Federal court. Now, if serious about hiring counse, feel free to contact me.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    The attorney must be admitted to the specific federal court where your husband is being charged. For example, I am admitted to appear in federal court in the Eastern District of Missouri (St. Louis), but I am not admitted in the Western District of Missouri (Kansas City).
    The Law Office of Matt A. Stockdale, PLLC
    The Law Office of Matt A. Stockdale, PLLC | Matt A. Stockdale
    Attorneys are licensed to practice law within certain jurisdictions. As long as the attorney is licensed within the jurisdiction where your husband has been charged, you may hire that attorney.
    Law Office of Cotter C. Conway
    Law Office of Cotter C. Conway | Cotter C. Conway
    The attorney must be admitted to practice before the Federal District Court (i.e. District of Nevada or Eastern District of California) in which your husband's drug crime is pending; not just admitted to practice in the local State courts. Also, given the complexity of Federal criminal law and Federal sentencing law, it is extremely important that you retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. Contact me for a free consultation.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    You should retain an attorney in the Federal District where he is charged.
    Jackson White, PC
    Jackson White, PC | Jeremy Geigle
    Finding the right attorney for a given charge can seem overwhelming; however, most private attorneys offer a free consultation where the individual and/or family can meet the attorney face to face and get to know him before a hiring decision is made. Many attorneys practice in both state and federal court. It is important to find an attorney who not only gives the family peace of mind but also who is comfortable with the type of charge and the jurisdiction in which it will be handled. A lawyer with the right experience, integrity and track record of results can make a big difference in the outcome of a case.
    I dont really know what you mean by where. It only matters that the attorney is licensed in the federal district court in which you husband has been charged. As long as the attorney is admitted to the bar of that particular federal jurisdiction, then that is fine.
    Lawyer needs to be member of bar in the Federal Jurisdication, can petition to appear for your husbands case.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Generally, it does not matter since attorneys licensed to practice in any state can represent a client in any Federal District Court. However, the attorney may be required to hire local counsel if he or she resides outside the area the District Court serves. The local counsel serves as the attorneys agent for services of process and other matters.
    The answer depends on a number of factors. For example, as a practical matter, the closer the criminal defense attorney is to you, the less expensive they may be. Also, it may depend on whether the attorney is a member of your district's bar, or whether it is feasible for him or her to be admitted for that one case, pro hac vice. As a former federal prosecutor for over 20 years, I would be willing to consider going to another state, but I would consider each of these, along with other factors, in making my decision. We are a firm in Augusta, Georgia are a father and son law firm which primarily handles cases in state and federal court in the Augusta, Georgia area. Good luck!
    The Connelly Firm P.C.
    The Connelly Firm P.C. | Thomas Connelly
    No, just make sure that your prospective attorney is admitted to the federal trial court hearing the case. For example, I am admitted to the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the Federal District Court for the District of New Jersey. It also helpful if your prospective attorney has appeared before the trial judge. You may find some useful links here.
    An attorney for a Federal crime must be licensed in the Federal District where the crime was committed. Most attorneys would be located in that district.
    It will probably be cheaper to hire an attorney who practices in the federal district where he is charged. There are four. Northern District which goes from Monterey to the Oregon border; Central District which is in and around LA;Southern which is San Diego and its environs and the Eastern District which basically is the entire Central Valley. They have courts in both Fresno and Sacramento.

Tell me where he is charged and I can probably recommend an EXPERIENCED federal attorney in that District. One problem is that a lot of lawyers who might be very experienced in state court do not know where the federal courthouse is. State and Federal law is very very different and the feds have greatly enhanced penalties unless you get a lawyer who can know how to manipulate the system. If he is in the Northern District (courts in SF, Oakland, and San Jose) I can help you. Check me out at my website, I have been doing this for 46 years and most of my practice is federal.
    I would recommend hiring an attorney that is fairly local to the federal court the case is being heard. I am licensed to practice in Federal court and may be able to help.
    Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
    Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
    No, it does not matter. You can retain an attorney in China for his federal crime if you like, as long as the attorney is licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the crime is being prosecuted. So, if your husband is being prosecuted in the Southern District of New York Federal Court, the lawyer must be admitted in the Southern District Courts. However, it makes sense to hire an attorney that maintains an office in the same city, or close to the city, where your husband is being prosecuted. This is convenient for you, the attorney is familiar with the court, and the attorney will not have to travel vast distances to see your husband, and appear in court.
    Yes, you would want to retain an attorney who has been admitted to practice in the court in which your husband has been charged with this drug offense.
    While any attorney may stand next to you in court, you need an attorney that is familiar with the judges, prosecutors and personalities in the jurisdiction where your husband will be tried I don't want a federal attorney from Brooklyn New York representing me in rural Iowa, even if he is cheaper or know my Uncle Bob.
    You need to retain an attorney licensed to practice in Federal court. Most lawyers are licensed to practice in state courts only, so you need to find one who is licensed to practice and litigate before the Federal Court.