Does it matter if I am divorcing in a different county? Why? 9 Answers as of June 08, 2015

My husband lives in the same place where we got married. I moved out with a friend about 7 months ago when we separated. We have not spoken since that happened. I want to get a divorce going so that I can get married. I live in a different county than him. What do I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
You may file where ever you wish but the statute states the dissolution should be in the county where the marriage was last intact. If the? Husband does not object you can file where you live but if he objects you must use his county.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/8/2015
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You can file in either county, the one you live in or the one he lives in.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/5/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
If you have lived in Wisconsin at least 6 months, you can file for divorce in any county where either you or your husband have lived for the past 30 days. If for reason justice seems to favour moving the case to the county where he lives, he can move for a change of venue. If his present residence is in an adjacent or nearby county, he probably would not prevail. Find an experienced family law attorney to advise and represent you. Good Luck.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/5/2015
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
As long as you have been a resident of teh county for at least 6 months you can file where you reside.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 6/5/2015
GordenLaw, LLC
GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
File either in the county where you lived for most of the marriage or in the county where you live now (provided you did not move out of state).
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 6/5/2015
Click to View More Answers: