Does insurance cover me if I was injured on my own property? How? 15 Answers as of August 27, 2015

Would my home owners insurance cover me if I was injured by accident on my own property. I fell off my attic ladder getting decorations out of the attic and now have to have ACL reconstruction surgery?

Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
Check with your insurance agent.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Homeowners' insurance typically protects a homeowner from liability for damages that are caused by some defective condition or conduct occurring on the premises of the homeowner that occur as the result of the negligence of the homeowner or some other person covered by the policy. Unless you have some special coverage attached as part of your policy, your injuries would probably not be covered by your own homeowners' policy.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
Typically not, but check the language of your homeowners policy, some do. Also, your health insurer should cover your medicals.
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
You need to read your policy as MI law indicates that the terms thereof control. It is NOT usual that HO covers injuries to the insured or relatives living in the home for in home injuries. HO is typically to cover the HO for injuries to others due to some negligence on the part of the insured. Again, read your policy. Or hire local counsel to do so, if you can not for some reason.
There is no standard HO policy; you'd have to review it. Liability coverage is no help as you can't sue yourself. If you have it, medical payments (med pay) coverage would pay the bills, but probably not the loss of earnings if you are off work.