Does the individual state affect the type of property that is exempt in Chapter 7 bankruptcy? 6 Answers as of February 04, 2011

I am trying to determine which property is exempt because I am in bankruptcy planning for a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Does it depend on the individual state where I file?

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
Yes it does.
Maclean Chung Law Firm
Maclean Chung Law Firm | David H. Chung
Yes. State based exemptions vary by state.
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law | Gus Johnson
Normally your exemptions are governed by state law. in addition, if you have not resided in the state in which you file for the 2 year period prior to your filing, then the state where you resided in the 6 month period prior to the 2 years prior to your filing will determine what your exemptions will be.
Answer Applies to: South Dakota
Ursula G. Barrios Law
Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
Yes. Each state has its own exemption laws. California is quite generous in offering up to approx. $23,000 in wildcard protection (this means anything, anywhere) under one of its code sections. The other code section can homestead from $75,000-$150,000in equity depending on household size and type.
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
It depends on the State: some states have opted for their own exemptions, others follow the federal exemptions provided for in the Bankruptcy Code.
    Exemptions are determined by the laws of the state where you lived for the 2 years prior to filing your case or, if you lived in more than one state, for the greater part of the 180 days prior to the 2 year period.