Does a former company need my social security number for tax purposes? 2 Answers as of January 25, 2011

I worked for a company since 2006, paid as a contractor. I filled out w9 forms for them, but now after I have left. They had sued a company I owe to try to shut it down and were unsuccessful. They now are asking everyone - but me - for my social security number with the statement they need it for taxes. They are using their lawyers to try to get the information from everyone - but still have not contacted me. Personally, I think they want to do something shady. Since I have filled it out in the past, and they have reported taxes since 2006, I feel I am not required to provide them any further information. I do not receive any money from them anymore and I report my taxes properly. How should I handle this without giving them my social again - I think they are being shady, and besides, if they properly reported taxes in the past, they should have my number on file.

Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
If they had your number, they shouldn't need it again.
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
Despite your problems with them, the IRS requires that they report payments to you in a 1099 of greater than $600. Perhaps a lawyer can confirm the actual reason for the request and give your peace of mind.