Does financial situation matter when legally sponsoring siblings in immigration matters? 7 Answers as of December 19, 2010

I am a US citizen, do I need to have a very good financial position to sponsor my siblings to come to the US?

You are going to need to have sufficient financial status, either by yourself or with the help of legitimate co-sponsors, to have income at the level of at least 125% of the poverty rate for the size of your household, which will include your present family and your siblings. An Affidavit of
Support, Form I-864, is required to be filed by each co sponsor, along with the DS-230 application for permanent residency to be filed for consular processing (assuming that your brothers/sisters are outside the USA). If you want to know more or want my help, call or e-mail me for an in-person or phone consultation. Best to you.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Not for the initial stage. After 7-9 years of waiting, then you do have to prove that you have sufficient income. If you do not, then you can get a joint sponsor.
You need to have sufficient funds, either as income or in the form of assets, to qualify as a sponsor for affidavit of support purposes when the visa petition goes to the consular stage of the process. If petitioning a sibling, this is going to take about 10-12 years. If at that time your financial situation is such that you cannot qualify as a sponsor on your own, you can get a joint sponsor who needs to be a US citizen or US permanent resident to sign the affidavit of support on behalf of your sibling.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
It helps but if you do not you can get a co sponsor.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Financial situation does matter. If you are single, never file any affidavit of support for anyone, have no dependent(s) listed on your tax return, are only filling for one sister who will not take with her any family members, you only need to show about $18,212.00 / year gross adjusted income. If you are married, have 3 kids, file for your sister, your sister wants to take along her husband and one kid, you will need to show $46,262.00 gross adjusted income. If your financial situation is not good enough, you will need a co-sponsor (another person who can sign the affidavit of support and provide proof of sufficient income / assets)
    You do not have to be in great financial position in order to sponsor a person but you have to have income more than 125% or poverty line of your state. Of course, the more asset you provide as evidence, the more probable your case will be approved.

The department of state will deny your petition if you fail to prove that your financial status will not prevent your beneficiary from becoming public charge.

You are welcome to contact me for assistance.