Does a female have any right to equal pay with males? 10 Answers as of May 07, 2013

A college which has been having financial difficulties recently advertised for lectures to teach business skills. A woman applied for the job and was successful at the interview. She has been told that her salary will be $20,000 a year. She has been in the job for six months now and the head of her department is very pleased with her work. However, she has been very distressed to learn that the teaching union had negotiated an agreement with the employers whereby starting salary for the staff would be $25,000 a year and her male colleagues doing the same work had been taken out on a starting salary of $26,000.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
If the job is the same, there is an absolute right to equal pay under both Wisconsin and federal law.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 5/7/2013
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
There is an equal pay act. However, if she is represented by a Union, then I would file a grievance.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 5/3/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Couple of issues. First, since she is getting $20,000, she apparently does not qualify to be a member of the union. So she is probably a temporary employee, whatever that may mean in the educational arena. Second, you have not stated whether the male is a permanent employee or temporary, you have not identified whether there is equal qualification, whether by experience or training. If they are both temporary and they both have the same training and experience, she has a case. She needs to go to the EEOC or the Idaho Human Rights Commission and file a claim.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 5/3/2013
Law Office of Russell J. Thomas, Jr. | Russell J. Thomas, Jr.
This question and its answer are not as easy as it may appear. Is the college private or public, that may make a difference. What exactly does the union agreement say. That is important.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/3/2013
Kram & Wooster, P.S. | Richard H. Wooster
Sounds like there may be gender discrimination and violation of the equal pay act. Contact an attorney that specializes in employment law.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/3/2013
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    There could be an equal pay claim so the woman should contact an attorney to review all her information to determine if there is any viable claim.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 5/3/2013
    Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
    Is the person inquiring the person in the situation? If so, she needs to contact Ohio Civil Rights if her HR department does not have a satisfactory answer.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 5/3/2013
    I do not know the answer to this question. I suggest you check with Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 5/3/2013
    Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
    Law Offices of Charles R. Perry | Charles R. Perry
    California does have an equal pay law, which can be found at Labor Code Section 1197.5. An employee who is paid less than her colleagues for equal work can bring an action before the California Labor Commissioner or in court. The Labor Commission proceeding also affords the employee a certain amount of confidentiality in the early part of the investigation. I would have a consultation with an employee-side labor lawyer before pursuing this claim.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/3/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    If you see a labor attorney, generally equal pay for equal work is the rule. However, in such exempt status and individually contracted situations, issues of credentials, experience and any number of other things can cause salary variances. The matter should be looked into.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/3/2013
Click to View More Answers: