Does a father have the right to take his child to another state? 1 Answers as of July 20, 2011

My nephew has a temporary custody order for his 3 year old daughter while his ex girlfriend is in drug treatment. He has decided that he is going to take the baby and move to Alaska (approx. 2500 miles). He is doing this behind the mothers back and has decided that he is not going to ask the courts for permission. He's basicly just going to take her away from her entire family and everything she knows. What I am asking is would taking her to Alaska this way be against the law and if so what would the penalties be?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
The temporary custody order probably prohibits him from moving the child more than 60 miles without advance notice to mother and the court. He could be held in contempt of court if he violates a court order.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 7/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: