Does father have any legal right to try and see child now after 7 years has gone by with no contact? 7 Answers as of May 08, 2013

The mother has full custody of child. The child has only seen the father once at 3 months old, but never again.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Brent R. Chipman
Law Office of Brent R. Chipman | Brent R. Chipman
If there is an order involving the father and the child, he probably has the right to reinitiate contact with the child. The court may require a break in period of graduated parent time before jumping to whatever the standard parent time is supposed to be under the order. If there is no order giving the father rights with the child, he would need to file something with the court to establish those rights.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 5/8/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Yes, the father has the right to see the child.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 5/8/2013
Assuming parental rights have not been terminated, the father does have a right to see the child. Reunification services are probably needed.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/8/2013
Gabel, Gudmundsen & Gabel, P.C. | Laura Gabel
If push came to shove, the court would not award much parenting time; after all, this man is a stranger to the child. The most that I could see a court granting would be gradually increasing contact, perhaps starting with lunch (w/ Mom or another trusted adult who the child knows), increasing (after several weeks) to an afternoon (2-3 hours) with Mom or a trusted adult. Eventually this may increase to unsupervised parenting time (not overnights) for several weeks before any overnight visits would be allowed. You know best whether the father is going to have the patience to stick to months of a gradually increasing schedule. Confer with an attorney if the father files a motion.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/6/2013
Kunin &Carman | Ishi Kunin
It depends whether mom has terminated dad's parental rights. If not, as so much time has passed, mom should go to court to either terminate parental rights, or request any contact to be strictly supervised in a therapeutic setting.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/6/2013
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    Assuming she has not terminated father's parental rights and there are no issues with father being a drug offender, domestic abuser, convicted child molester or something like that he can ask to start supervised visitations first until the child gets used to father.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 5/6/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    Depends on the reasons.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 5/6/2013
Click to View More Answers: